Bird photos from Wakodahatchee

by Lanny McDowell on March 22, 2009

This place, Wakodahatchee Wetlands, and you can’t complain about the name if you come from Massachusetts, is a gem of a wildlife preserve not too far from Miami and in the general vicinity of the West Palm Beach airport.  It’s also referred to as being located within the suburbs of Delray Beach.  It is small, well travelled; and the trails consist almost entirely of elevated boardwalks and levees.   Here is a very very local map.

MyAvian Art technical tip of the day:  Get really close to your subject.  I know, it’s obvious, but it does expand your bird photography potential exponentially.

_mg_9498

_mg_0153

_mg_0126

_mg_0113

_mg_0106

_mg_0064-copy

_mg_0046

_mg_0017

_mg_9557

_mg_9554

_mg_9525

_mg_9521

This final shot has a bit more Avian Art than snapshot in it and some pretty wild color in the water surface.  In my next blog on another Florida birding hotspot, Merritt Island, there will be a bunch of bird photos where the reflections are as interesting as the bird.

_mg_9561

I have a list of folks who get an emailed notice from me with a URL to click on when I have posted a new blog.  There are times when I just send out photos to the list without bothering to blog about them or post them to a listserve.  Not on the list?  Want to be?   Just contact me (below right) saying you want to be on the list or, better yet,  subscribe to Feedburner above, in the right side column for automatic blog feeds to your email.  Getting off the list is just as simple.

Birds are cool!  Lanny     These images and more are available for purchase.  Contact me or View store.

No related posts.

Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.

{ 7 comments }

kathleen anderson 03.22.09 at 10:20 am

Great pictures and you are right…those closeups give us a look that
we seldom get, even with binoculars.

Soo 03.22.09 at 10:58 am

A fabulous selection of photos for one of my favorite birding spots in Central Florida. Greg gave a great presentation at a local Oceanographic Society in Stuart on the Piping Plover survey we have been doing and mentioned your photographic work.

Andrew Magee 03.22.09 at 12:34 pm

ok, is the arty one a tricolor? Excellent and fun and thanks! Andrew Magee

Lanny McDowell 03.22.09 at 4:08 pm

Andrew, thanks for the comment and question. Yeah, I think it’s a tricolor. The plumes and all the white underneath say so. If I looked at the sequence of my photos it would surely be obvious. I like the ID challenging ones. Of course , it’s easier for me since I was there and I get to pick. Little Blues I think are blue all over as adults and I do not recall seeing them with breeding plumage plumes. Sometimes the lucky shots are much cooler than the straight-on ones.

ken rodman lakeville, ma 03.22.09 at 8:40 pm

Lanny,
I too thoroughly enjoy visits to Wakodahatchee whenever I visit my mom in Delray Beach. It is totally accessible and a great spot to take non-birders on a nice boardwalk and turn them on to avian beauty. Loxahatchee nearby is also a favorite spot of mine.
Thanks for the great pics.

Deb 03.22.09 at 8:46 pm

I’ve been hoping you’d add more photos from your trip to Florida! They are spectacular in their closeness, vibrancy and subject matter. What is the bird in the second photo? The color plummage is amazing. Deb

Lanny McDowell 03.22.09 at 9:38 pm

Second photo is a Glossy Ibis, even though it has a white edging to its face, as in White-faced Ibis. Check the range maps for both.

Comments on this entry are closed.